Sackler in the snow

Wednesday 24 March 2010

the wonderful world of Wikis

Wikis are a part of web 2.0 that I am relatively familiar with, having joined several Oxford library ones and viewed others.I even created a wiki for the Sackler some time ago, but didn't do much with it, so this inspires me to re-visit it and see if we can develop something that will aid communication among a large number of staff working at different times at our issue desk.

I also use wikipedia quite frequently to find all sorts of information, and I have noticed that Wikipedia entries are usually among the first few hits on any google search.
This time, I looked at the entry for Sackler Library, and was pleased to see it is accurate, and even more pleased that I was able to edit the page myself, adding a few bits of information such as number of staff and size of holdings as well as changing the website URL to reflect the Bodleian Libraries name change.
I then had a look at a couple of other entires, one for a favourite TV show and another a politically sensitive issue, and was impressed with the quality of the discussions between contributors about accuracy, content and so on.

I warm to the whole idea of this very democratic means of sharing information but still have some doubts about how reliable any given entry will be,but for a quick and easy first search on a topic it is very useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment