Sackler in the snow

Tuesday 23 March 2010

T-Wit T-Web2.0 Things 15 and 16 Twitter

Well, I have got a bit behind on 23 things again, but now have time to post about my experience of twitter.
I have to admit that my preconceived idea of twitter was that is one of the more "lightweight" and trivial areas of the web 2.0 world, probably fuelled by media stories of celebs and politicians tweeting their every change of outfit to the waiting world.
However, after signing up and giving it a try, I now see it does have a more meaningful side and is yet another method we can use to keep in touch with colleagues and our customers.

One of the first things I searched was "Sackler Library" and I was astonished to find someone had very recently tweeted a photo of the blossom peeking up over the wall opposite the library entrance in St John Street.There were also mentions of our namesake library in the US.


I soon realised there is a more seroius side to twitter and signed up to follow the BL, Bodleian and penguin books as well as some favourite authors, actors and comedians.
As ever, there remains the question of finding time to log in and read their latest tweets,but I am becoming a fan...though it remains quite disconcerting that total strangers have signed up to "follow" me on the basis of a single "tweet" !

No comments:

Post a Comment